From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Fw: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 03:30:29
1 Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2
3 >A clueful sysadmin with gentoo is a far superior arrangement
4 >provided the rate of hardware installs isn't too much. For very large
5 >environments with 100+ boxes, I'd definitly agree with you that
6 >gentoo has a long way to go.
9 Well ... as far as I'm concerned, "clueful sysadmin" == Gentoo Certified
10 Engineer. That's something we *can* do -- start certifying people the
11 same way Red Hat does.
12
13 For large environments with 100+ boxes, as long as they're all x86 and
14 i686 or better, you could have a small-to-medium compile farm with
15 /usr/portage/packages exported via NFS.
16
17 >I think Gentoo shouldn't rule out providing some support and flexibility
18 >for any need that a significant amount of its userbase is interested in.
19 >And, I know there are a significant number of devs already who
20 >have at least some interest in enterprise support do to conversations
21 >I've had via IRC.
22 >
23 >I definitly don't expect that the entire gentoo community or dev base
24 >should go substantially out of their way or change organizational structure
25 >to facilitate enterprise capabilities. Just allow some startup biz that
26 >eventually comes along to be able to provide a backported snapshot
27 >based tree for their own customers.
30 I think you underestimate the difficulty of running a successful
31 "startup biz". I don't think Ubuntu would have gotten where they are if
32 the founder hadn't been rich to start with.
33
34 >>>Also I find it amusing when people say that Gentoo exists for the
35 >>>users. I think that is wrong. Gentoo exists for the *developers*.
36 >>>It's our playground, and it's the reason we use a live tree rather
37 >>>than switching to an actually sane approach. The users are cool
38 >>>because they point out bugs, help solve problems on bugzilla, suggest
39 >>>enhancements, provide patches, and notify us of package updates.
40 >>>Sometimes they become developers. But the truth is that Gentoo sees
41 >>>improvement and maintenance in the areas that appeal to the
42 >>>developers. And that is why Gentoo exists for the developers first,
43 >>>the users second.
44 >>>
45 >>>
46 >>>
47 >
48 >Thats part of the reason that I'm a developer - because I like interacting
49 >with the dev community here. But, the users have their own role and
50 >the above could be taken the wrong way.
53 Well ... as a user, I certainly didn't take it the wrong way.
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list