From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more help needed with gcc-4.8 stabilization, chromium starts heavily using C++11
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 18:31:05
1 > The newest member of Gentoo can have more power to direct the course
2 > of the distro than every oldtimer or council member there is, if they
3 > just contribute more than them.
4
5 > If the maintainer of package A or provider of service B is a pain to
6 > work with, all it takes is for somebody else who is easier to work
7 > with to maintain package A or provide service B.
8
9 Rich, I fully agree with the overall sentiment of the rest of your e-mail, but
10 I think above statements are just not true. For both appropriate and
11 inappropriate reasons.
12
13 On one hand, if you are new to the project, nobody knows (and trusts) you yet.
14 So, it's definitely not the best idea to immediately propose big plans to
15 reform everything. You talk to people, show that you can handle things, earn
16 trust, and one day some time later noone will complain if you alone properly
17 and carefully handle restructuring the profile tree.
18
19 On the other hand, except for peaceful and cooperative places (kde team comes
20 to my mind since that's where I "grew up" as a Gentoo dev, but I'm sure there
21 are more examples), if as a newbie you pick the wrong things to work on you
22 might as well immediately retire again- you'll get blocked out by
23 territoriality. If you try to push things, well there's always someone who has
24 the idea to invoke QA or comrel. ["Let's retire him, (he might be making sense
25 but) he's making way too much noise." Luckily, that usually just does't
26 happen.]
27
28 This has become much better in the recent past, but it's not ideal yet.
29
30 I would be very glad if all our technical geniuses working deep on the insides
31 of Gentoo were to adopt new devs and teach them the intricacies. I would also
32 be very glad if all our technical geniuses were to participate in IRC and
33 mailing list discussions, so we can learn from them and understand why they do
34 things. Yes I know it is occasionally a waste of time and I can well
35 understand that after X years in Gentoo your enthusiasm for it disappears. No,
36 that does not make it unnecessary.
37
38 Yes, in my opinion we are scaring off people.
39 No, adapting to all misbehaviour of current contributors is not an option.
40 Noone is irreplaceable.
44 Andreas K. Huettel
45 Gentoo Linux developer
46 dilfridge@g.o