From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more help needed with gcc-4.8 stabilization, chromium starts heavily using C++11
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 02:08:47
1 On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> The newest member of Gentoo can have more power to direct the course
4 >> of the distro than every oldtimer or council member there is, if they
5 >> just contribute more than them.
6 >
7 >> If the maintainer of package A or provider of service B is a pain to
8 >> work with, all it takes is for somebody else who is easier to work
9 >> with to maintain package A or provide service B.
10 >
11 > Rich, I fully agree with the overall sentiment of the rest of your e-mail, but
12 > I think above statements are just not true. For both appropriate and
13 > inappropriate reasons.
14
15 Well, I also get what you're saying, but I'm not sure that this is the
16 best place to draw the line...
19 > On the other hand, except for peaceful and cooperative places (kde team comes
20 > to my mind since that's where I "grew up" as a Gentoo dev, but I'm sure there
21 > are more examples), if as a newbie you pick the wrong things to work on you
22 > might as well immediately retire again- you'll get blocked out by
23 > territoriality. If you try to push things, well there's always someone who has
24 > the idea to invoke QA or comrel. ["Let's retire him, (he might be making sense
25 > but) he's making way too much noise." Luckily, that usually just does't
26 > happen.]
27 >
28 > This has become much better in the recent past, but it's not ideal yet.
29
30 Well, nothing is ever ideal, but as issues come up they are being
31 dealt with now. I can't think of any situations where somebody has
32 been able to block out new contributors in the last year or two.
33 Sure, there have been a few attempts, but we've squashed them.
34
35 There is a lot we can do in the case of territoriality. In such a
36 case we have somebody who is contributing, and all we need to do is
37 declare that their contributions are to be accepted. There really is
38 nothing anybody can do to stop somebody from contributing except
39 reverts/etc, and doing that after the council establishes policy is
40 going to lead to losing commit privs. Fortunately, it hasn't come to
41 that in quite a while. I think that when push comes to shove people
42 who are standing in the way come to appreciate the situation they're
43 trying to promote.
44
45 However, this is not really the same sort of situation. If somebody
46 was trying to submit their own tinderbox bugs and Diego was telling
47 them that he alone is allowed to run a tinderbox, then that would be
48 territoriality. Such a move would really be silly though - people
49 build stuff and submit logs in bugs all the time, and a tinderbox is
50 just doing that on a larger scale. Likewise, if somebody was offering
51 Mike patches to fix the bugs Diego is reporting and Mike was
52 unjustifiably turning them away, or especially if he was combative
53 with other devs willing to support those patches (and the patches were
54 reasonable), then that too would be territoriality, and all we need to
55 do is get Mike to stand aside. Neither of these hypotheticals really
56 pertains here. Diego isn't stopping anybody else from submitting bugs
57 in whatever format they wish, and Mike isn't preventing anybody from
58 fixing bugs. Their actual technical contributions in these cases are
59 net-positive, or near-zero at worst (a dev closing a bug that they
60 aren't obligated to fix doesn't actually harm anybody unless somebody
61 else was going to come along and fix it). Socially it would be nice
62 if we could all compromise, but that is harder to deal with.
63
64 It looks like axs has a workaround nearly ready which is likely to
65 make this issue somewhat moot.
66
67 I do agree that nobody is indispensable. If there are specific
68 situations that really stress people to the point of quitting I would
69 like to hear about them BEFORE people throw in the towel. In the end,
70 though, we do want to have a distro and not just a polite mailing
71 list, and that means that we need to appreciate everybody's
72 (often-silent) positive contributions, and not just focus on their
73 role in some recent conflict.
76 Rich