From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 11:46:06
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 3:21 AM, Daniel Campbell (zlg) <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On October 23, 2016 11:29:49 PM PDT, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >>Dnia 24 października 2016 07:32:26 CEST, Daniel Campbell
5 >><zlg@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >>>On 10/19/2016 02:10 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
7 >>>> Maybe I have missed something, but why would one use --signoff for
8 >>>> a Gentoo commit?
9 >>>>
10 >>>> For Linux (the kernel), the meaning of the line is that the
11 >>>> contributor certifies the DCO (Developer's Certificate of Origin)
12 >>>[1].
13 >>>> As we don't have a Gentoo DCO, it is not at all clear to me what the
14 >>>> meaning of a Signed-off-by: line would be in the context of the
15 >>>gentoo
16 >>>> tree.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Even worse, I see commits having Signed-off-by: lines with obvious
19 >>>> pseudonyms instead of a real name, which would be meaningless even
20 >>if
21 >>>> one would say that the Linux rules apply. (Also, we have the rule
22 >>>that
23 >>>> real names must be provided for all developers, with no exceptions
25 >>>> be made for people doing copyrightable work [2].)
26 >>>>
27 >>>> [1]
28 >>>http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches?id=dca22a63fd036c3ebb50212060eba0080f178126#n428
29 >>>> [2]
30 >>>https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#What_does_the_recruitment_process_involve.3F
31 >>>>
32 >>>The way I understood "signed off by" for Gentoo is "I am a developer
33 >>>who
34 >>>looked at the code and tested it, confirming it works on my system".
35 >>If
36 >>>an AT signs off, they are certifying that it passes their test muster.
37 >>>
38 >>>It's a more formal "looks good to me", and provides a point of
39 >>>accountability if the commit _isn't_ up to par.
40 >>
41 >>How about Gentoo developers stopping to reuse things that have
42 >>well-defined meaning for something completely different?
43 >
44 > I did say "to my understanding". I wasn't aware of DCOs. Regardless, practices and workflows differ between projects, and it doesn't surprise me to see projects that use the same words differently. Not that we should, of course. What would you call what I decribed, though; Acked?
45
46 I don't think we need a git header for the purpose of saying that
47 something looks good to somebody else. If you commit something and it
48 doesn't work, we'll ask you to stop doing it. If you keep doing it
49 we'll take away your commit access. This is purely an internal
50 problem.
51
52 The purpose of a DCO is to withstand external scrutiny. It helps
53 protect Gentoo in the event that somebody else's copyrighted code
54 makes it into the distro. The audience for a signed-off-by header
55 isn't Comrel or QA, but rather a court of law. It makes it harder to
56 contribute something to Gentoo and then argue that you didn't intend
57 for Gentoo to redistribute it under the GPL, or that now that you've
58 had a falling out you'd prefer that Gentoo remove all your past
59 contributions.
60
61 However, it has absolutely no meaning at all if it isn't 100% clear
62 what is being signed. And if we have a long history of people adding
63 the header when it doesn't mean anything legally then it will probably
64 make it harder to argue that it suddenly means something when the
65 policy changes.
66
67 For example, suppose we institute a DCO tomorrow. Then zlg ragequits
68 in 2 years and claims he never gave us permission to redistribute his
69 code under the GPL. We point to his signed-off-by headers but he says
70 he never heard of the DCO policy and that it was just some default
71 setting in his config, and that he was adding the headers long before
72 the policy went into effect. I don't think it would stick but it
73 really isn't an out we want to give people. IMO infra should reject
74 commits with this header until we have a DCO, and then it should
75 reject commits without this header. Alternatively, we could skip the
76 first part but require all existing devs to ack the new copyright
77 policy whenever it happens.
80 Rich