From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DB vs SCM (was Re: [RFC] Some sync control)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:45:26
1 Steve Long wrote:
2 > I'm thinking in any case that a db app can save old revisions or use a svn
3 > backend. I'm looking at this from a workflow perspective, in terms
4 > especially of the security issue around giving commit access to the whole
5 > tree. If the individual maintainer only has permission for those ebuilds
6 > s/he is responsible for, it might make it easier to allow new people write
7 > access.
8
9 The idea of restricting access to specific parts of gentoo-x86 has come
10 up many times. It doesn't fix anything and actually makes some things
11 worse. Committers still have access to wherever they can commit, so they
12 can work whatever evil they want there without needing the rest of the tree.
13
14 If we trust people to commit anywhere, we should trust them to commit
15 everywhere. If we don't trust them to commit, why do they have commit
16 access? This implies a basic lack of trust within our development team,
17 which means it can never be a true team.
18
19 Thanks,
20 Donnie