From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making %95 of users happy
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 04:44:08
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl> writes:
2
3 [ ... ]
4
5 > Why not create a new profile, call it gentoo-stable-1.0 or whatever,
6 > and fix the packages that are part of it. At the moment a security
7 > update is needed (or a critical bug gets fixed), the packages
8 > involved can be bumped in the profile. It is possible with the
9 > current architecture, it only needs some extra files in cvs, and an
10 > explanation on the website.
11
12 the only problem I see with using a profile is that it'll "lock" you
13 down more than you'd like. it would be nice to say "give me a
14 stable core, but a bleeding edge movieplayer and games".
15
16 [ ... ]
17
18 > If you run a webserver locally and have a lot of gentoo machines, it
19 > is very useful to serve the /usr/portage/distfiles dir on the
20 > webserver, and to name this dir as first mirror in your
21 > make.conf. This way emerge will first try to download something
22 > locally, when that failes it will try the normal mirrors.
23
24 nah, I just run my own mirror of Gentoo. so much easier and a lot
25 less fuzz. :)
28 Terje