From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making %95 of users happy
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:44:14
1 On Thursday 18 April 2002 21:35, Terje Kvernes wrote:
2 > "Todd Wright" <wylie@××××××××××.org> writes:
3 >
4 > [ ... ]
5 >
6 > > "*Portage allows you to set up Gentoo Linux the way you like it*..."
7 > >
8 > > It doesnt. Just when I get it how I like it, it changes.
9 >
10 > cheap shot, nobody forces you to do an --update world. still, some
11 > extra measures are needed, and I for one will try to see how it can
12 > be done. :)
13
14 Why not create a new profile, call it gentoo-stable-1.0 or whatever, and fix
15 the packages that are part of it. At the moment a security update is needed
16 (or a critical bug gets fixed), the packages involved can be bumped in the
17 profile. It is possible with the current architecture, it only needs some
18 extra files in cvs, and an explanation on the website.
19
20 Paul
21
22 ps.
23 In case you have a network of gentoo machines, you can also make your own
24 personalised profile (and mount /usr/portage/profiles in over nfs or similar)
25
26 pps.
27 If you run a webserver locally and have a lot of gentoo machines, it is very
28 useful to serve the /usr/portage/distfiles dir on the webserver, and to name
29 this dir as first mirror in your make.conf. This way emerge will first try to
30 download something locally, when that failes it will try the normal mirrors.
33 Paul de Vrieze
34 Junior Researcher
35 Mail: pauldv@××××××.nl
36 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net