From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Einput eclass
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:52:43
1 John Jawed wrote:
2 > Below is a link to an "enhanced input" eclass as well as a screenshot.
3 > This eclass was made to simplify interacting with the user at
4 > pkg_config().
5 >
6 > http://jawed.name/dev/gentoo/einput.eclass
7 > http://jawed.name/dev/gentoo/einput.png (code used to create this
8 > output is below)
9 >
10 > This eclass started off as a small set of scripts used by academia at
11 > my current campus and eventually was built upon. I was the original
12 > author and modified it later to be ebuild friendly. It has support for
13 > serial consoles.
14 >
15 > The main purpose of this eclass is to make life simpler for developers
16 > that try to streamline --config interaction. For example, having
17 > --config with net-proxy/squid may ask for where to create the swap
18 > directories, sed the config and then issue a squid -z for the user.
19 > Taking it further, it may ask if the user wants the --config to add
20 > the runlevel init scripts. Upgrades to packages which require
21 > conversion of data catalogs (such as MySQL/PostgreSQL data
22 > directories) could also be streamlined with user interaction.
23 >
24 > In general, I think having more post install configurations to
25 > streamline the basics for core
26 > packages will be beneficial to both Gentoo newcomers and gurus. The
27 > einput.eclass should help Gentoo developers lives easier in achieving
28 > in that goal.
29 >
30 > I would like to continue to build upon this eclass.
31 >
32 > Regards,
33 > John
34
35 John,
36
37 I think you've done a really great job with this. Very creative and good
38 initiative. You're hired. Someone get him his developer badge..
42 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
43 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/