From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 16:00:03
1 On 02/02/2017 10:52 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Why does dev-java/icedtea try to pull in GTK (and thus X)
5 >> on a headless server? That stuff belongs in a desktop profile, not in
6 >> the base one.
7 >
8 > The base profile isn't "headless server" - it is just generic.
9
10 If this is how everyone is treating it, then we should at least document
11 that fact...
14 > The problem is that if you treat the base profile as "minimal" then
15 > you lose the ability to maintain an upstream-default profile (unless
16 > you end up with a huge package.use.force/mask file which IMO is the
17 > wrong place to put stuff like this).
18
19 Why would you need package.use.force/mask? The upstream defaults would
20 build on top of the minimal base profile, in plain old package.use. In
21 the profile is exactly where the upstream defaults belong in an
22 "upstream defaults" profile.
23
24 I think (base == minimal) is the simpler way to allow both possibilities.