From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 15:52:20
1 On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Why does dev-java/icedtea try to pull in GTK (and thus X)
4 > on a headless server? That stuff belongs in a desktop profile, not in
5 > the base one.
6
7 The base profile isn't "headless server" - it is just generic.
8
9 Somebody could create a headless server profile that set USE=-X and
10 the necessary tweaks when necessary to handle specific packages.
11 Having mix-ins would help with this by reducing the costs of adding
12 profiles so that we can offer more choices like this.
13
14 Users can of course set USE=-* if they really want a minimal system,
15 and build up from there. However, a minimal profile would probably be
16 a better solution if somebody wanted to create one.
17
18 The problem is that if you treat the base profile as "minimal" then
19 you lose the ability to maintain an upstream-default profile (unless
20 you end up with a huge package.use.force/mask file which IMO is the
21 wrong place to put stuff like this). I think that upstream-defaults
22 is a more sensible base than something intended to be minimal. It is
23 far easier to let all the packages specify defaults individually and
24 then make large-scale adjustments (up or down) to these, than to try
25 to achieve a "default" position from one that just has everything
26 turned off.
29 Rich