From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 04:43:54
1 On 03/24/2018 07:26 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 13:44:49 -0700
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> That only happens when dependency satisfaction fails by normal means.
6 >
7 > And when that happens, it is better to bail and go "Uh oh, something bad",
8 > not "oh, right, lets install something that will likely make things
9 > worse and additional work to fix"
10
11 I don't think it's possible to have defaults that satisfy everyone. My
12 hope that the --autounmask default will be helpful to some people, and I
13 advise people to use --autounmask=n if it's not helpful.
14
15 > Its a regular occurrence that we have to tell people about this on #gentoo.
16
17 Normally, it emerge shows a message like the following when it creates
18 package.mask or ** keywords changes:
19
20 NOTE: The --autounmask-keep-masks option will prevent emerge
21 from creating package.unmask or ** keyword changes.
22
23 >>> That default gets people using broken openssl and experimental
24 >>> packages blindly without them ever having intended on getting into
25 >>> experimental waters.
26 >>
27 >> If people can't be bothered to understand the meaning of package.mask
28 >> and keywords changes, should they really be using Gentoo?
29 >
30 > And its not *entirely* true that this is the case. Toralf used to
31 > complain portage couldn't find a resoultion and would try unmasking
32 > insane stuff in the process of tinderboxing.
33 >
34 > But lo and behold, by removing the ability to unmask ** and
35 > package.mask, he reported a significant improvement in the ability to
36 > test.
37
38 That's great. I really don't expect the default to work well in every
39 situation.
40
41 > "RTFM?" is a terrible response to "you have bad defaults that make
42 > things break" because that default is *only* useful to people who would
43 > consider using things that have *zero* expectation that they would work.
44
45 The --autounmask behavior only triggers when a dependency is encountered
46 that cannot be satisfied by normal means. So, it means that the user is
47 already using masked packages, or they have expressed a desire to
48 install a masked package.
49
50 > And that is not any majority demographic of the Gentoo user base.
51 >
52 > Its not a useless feature, but its a feature that should only be
53 > enabled after reading the documentation.
54 But if the majority demographic is as you describe, then they shouldn't
55 be using anything having dependencies that require package.unmask or **
56 keywords changes.
57 --
58 Thanks,
59 Zac