From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enough about GLEP5{4,5}
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 20:41:25
1 On Monday 08 June 2009 20:35:22 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:17:56 +0100
3
4 > > And how much developer time would be wasted to do so, and indeed has
5 > > already been wasted on this?
6 > Thanks to emails like yours, lots.
7 5-2009, 800 emails
8 11.75% ciaran.mccreesh.googlemail.com
9
10 4-2009, 287 emails
11 11.50% ciaran.mccreesh.googlemail.com
12
13 3-2009, 602 emails
14 9.47% ciaran.mccreesh.googlemail.com
15
16 Congratulations. You managed to consistently hit the top spot for three months
17 in a row, outrunning the second by a wide margin. At this rate of increase
18 you'll write all emails on this mailing list somewhere near 2012 ...
19
20 Source: http://archives.gentoo.org/stats/gentoo-dev-per-month.xml
21
22 > > (If you don't think it is a problem, please feel free to say
23 > > so /without/ resorting to insult over reason. If you think the
24 > > proposal had merit: how come we've only now got agreement that
25 > > easily-extractable EAPI works?)
26 >
27 > Easily-extractable EAPI either has change scope limitations or a
28 > considerable performance impact.
29
30 I thought the performance impact was still up for debate (and if I'm not
31 mistaken the parsing approach would still be _much_ faster than the current
32 sourcing approach, negating your argument quite nicely ...)
33 >
34 > GLEP 55's getting nowhere because a small group of religious fanatics
35 > are doing anything they can to derail it because it came from "the
36 > wrong people".
37 No, you are ignoring what people say again. It's a bad idea, has nothing to do
38 with your abrasive demeanor, your attempts to deflect the discussion etc.
39 Amazingly people don't care that much about you.
40
41 > If you want to know the kind of arguments that are being
42 > thrown against GLEP 55 now, just have a look at:
43 >
44 > 22:54 < ciaranm> it's been established by precedent that gleps propose
45 > an enhancement, and that competing enhancements get their own gleps
46 > 22:55 < bonsaikitten> well, we claim precedent on this one
47 > 22:55 < bonsaikitten> so there :)
48 > 22:55 < ciaranm> point to your precedent please
49 > 22:55 < bonsaikitten> it is the precedent
50 > 22:56 < ciaranm> bonsaikitten: uh... i don't think you know what that
51 > means..
52 > 22:56 < bonsaikitten> ciaranm: you refuse to accept time travel
53 >
54 > Yup, the argument of the week against GLEP 55 is that we refuse to
55 > accept time travel.
56
57 Oh, you took that little joke seriously. I thought you were joking there,
58 precedent is such a funny and obsolete legal concept. Plus you had been
59 baiting NeddySeagoon for almost an hour at that point, driving the discussion
60 in circles without contributing any constructive comments or fact-based chains
61 of reasoning.
62 And you didn't quote the much better joke:
63
64 <bonsaikitten> time flies like an arrow, and fruit flies like banana
65
66 That you now take a joke as a serious argument to show that "the others" are
67 wrong is quite hilarious. I do wonder though why you feel the need to diffuse
68 a technical discussion with humoristic things like this ...
69
70 Still leaves open why you religiously deny any input from me, even if it could
71 solve the problem, and why you try to remove the discussion of alternatives
72 from GLEP55 when NeddySeagoon spent lots of time refining it after multiple
73 people stated the simple problem that it is missing the discussion of
74 alternatives and is not fit for discussion. So maybe you should just let go of
75 this one and let people with experience in documentation, standardization and
76 other similar things fight out this one? Might make it easier to get
77 somewhere.