From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding slot and subslot deps to others' packages
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 01:30:42
1 On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 14:44:52 -0500
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Unless I have missed mgorny's point here, this isn't just about
6 >> libraries that have currently subslots. This is about every single
7 >> library in the tree.
8 >
9 > Some (many?) libraries rarely change API/ABI so it wouldn't make sense
10 > to include those in a first run.
11 >
12 >> That's a LOT of bugs. I guess filing bugs is doable if we handle a few
13 >> libraries at a time. However, it would be nice to avoid the repetitive
14 >> "paperwork" and just let people get the job done.
15 >
16 > Better yet, focus on those (few?) libraries that regularly change
17 > APIs/ABIs and for which adding sub-SLOT deps to dependent ebuilds makes
18 > sense *now*.
21 Ah, what a silly thing for me to overlook. That does change my outlook.