From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding slot and subslot deps to others' packages
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 00:23:33
1 On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 14:44:52 -0500
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Unless I have missed mgorny's point here, this isn't just about
5 > libraries that have currently subslots. This is about every single
6 > library in the tree.
7
8 Some (many?) libraries rarely change API/ABI so it wouldn't make sense
9 to include those in a first run.
10
11 > That's a LOT of bugs. I guess filing bugs is doable if we handle a few
12 > libraries at a time. However, it would be nice to avoid the repetitive
13 > "paperwork" and just let people get the job done.
14
15 Better yet, focus on those (few?) libraries that regularly change
16 APIs/ABIs and for which adding sub-SLOT deps to dependent ebuilds makes
17 sense *now*.
18
19 That's just the one tracker bug per library and blocking bugs for its
20 revdeps, and I'd gladly help out focusing the effort.
23 jer