From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] extending metadata.xml to support CPE information
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 06:13:58
1 08.05.2013 07:59, Mike Frysinger пишет:
2 > the guys who maintain the security CVE project [1] [2] (designed to be the
3 > authority when it comes to indexing security related vulnerabilities in
4 > projects) have a CPE specification [3] to make tracking CVEs back to a
5 > canonical source in a machine parseable format.
6 >
7 > the ChromiumOS project wants to be able to tie CPEs to a specific package.
8 > this would probably also be a good thing for our own security team to tie into
9 > the GLSA process. the Debian project too is extending their database to
10 > include CPE information [4].
11 >
12 > we've already got a database for maintaining this sort of thing on a per-
13 > package basis: metadata.xml. so let's extend the DTD to cover this. the
14 > existing remote-id field looks like a pretty good fit, so the proposal is
15 > simple: add a new "cpe" type. the entries for net-misc/curl would be:
16 > <upstream>
17 > <remote-id type="cpe">cpe:/a:curl:curl</remote-id>
18 > <remote-id type="cpe">cpe:/a:curl:libcurl</remote-id>
19 > </upstream>
20 >
21 > or the gzip package:
22 > <upstream>
23 > <remote-id type="cpe">cpe:/a:gnu:gzip</remote-id>
24 > </upstream>
25 >
26 > for most packages, there will probably be only one cpe entry, but as you can
27 > see here, sometimes more than one can track back to a single package.
28 >
29 > we have some scripts running on the CrOS side to try and do an initial seed
30 > (at least, for all the packages we're using), so i'll probably take care of
31 > merging that into the main tree. i'm not proposing this be required or
32 > anything (since not all packages will have one).
33 >
34 > thoughts ?
35
36 Reasonable improvement, that can make tracking security issues more
37 easily and automatically. +1 for that
40 Best regards, Sergey Popov
41 Gentoo Linux Developer
42 Desktop-effects project lead