From: Paul Varner <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SuSE Kernel Sources
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 02:32:47
1 Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > On 02/10/2003 at 20:47:32(-0500), Paul Varner used 5.2K just to say:
3 >>> 1. The kernel sources are distributed by SuSE as an RPM. The RPM
4 >>> data is compressed with bzip instead of gzip. I discovered that
5 >>> rpm2targz doesn't understand bzipped RPM files and would not
6 >>> correctly process the rpm. Because of this, an explicit dependency
7 >>> for the kernel is the rpm ebuild. The only thing that is used from
8 >>> rpm is the rpm2cpio command to unpack the sources into the ebuild
9 >>> sandbox. I don't use rpm in any other way. The second dependency
10 >>> is cpio. This one really isn't an issue since it is part of the
11 >>> system, but to be safe, I included it anyway.
12 >
13 > How did you discover that?
14 >
15 > Please check the latest version of rpm2targz, bug #23249 and the
16 > rpm.eclass (in reverse order). You can also take a look at the
17 > ebuilds for dev-lang/icc and dev-lang/ifc (the first two that come to
18 > mind) for hints on how to use the rpm.eclass.
19
20 I discovered it, because I used the redhat-sources ebuild as my inital
21 template. When rpm2targz didn't work as expected I read through the script
22 to debug what it was doing. As I was stepping though the script, I saw that
23 it was the gunzip part that was failing, so I produced the output up to that
24 point and saw that I had bzipped data instead of gzipped data.
25 Additionally, since I saw no reason to create a tar.gz file, just to turn
26 around and unpack the file, I decided to use rpm2cpio directly.
27
28 Anyhow, after seeing your comments on the rpm.eclass, I know what the r1
29 ebuild will be using! This is not intended as a putdown, but I have had a
30 hard time finding all of the information that I have been looking for to
31 build the ebuild. The documentation once I find it is great, but I still
32 feel like I'm looking for the needle in a haystack right now. I'm sure that
33 it will get easier over time.
34
35 Regards,
36 Paul