From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:22:43
1 On Thursday 14 August 2003 13:17, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 06:24, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > I would like to make a suggestion. Could you people also provide a
4 > > do_desktop command that has three parameters, the first parameter is the
5 > > name of the application (yes in English), the second is the commandline
6 > > of the application (that what goes into the exec field (so it can contain
7 > > spaces)), and the third is the the icon file.
8 >
9 > inherit eutils
10 >
11 > make_desktop_entry pauldv.sh "Paul de Vrieze's custom shell script"
12 > pauldv.png
15 That would be ok to me.
16
17 > > This would imply that icon files get installed in a gentoo-menu specific
18 > > folder, so they can be overridden by windowmanager specific folders if
19 > > they exist.
20 >
21 > Or use /usr/share/applications for the icon files, since that is the
22 > location in the freedesktop specification. Check out some of the games
23 > ebuilds I have made (americas-army, enemy-territory) to see these in
24 > action.
25
26 I believe there is some specification for iconsets as used by kde and gnome.
27 Kde for example provides icons for many applications, and there are also
28 iconsets like the one from ximian that provide icons for most common
29 applications. We probably want the ability to use those. That means that we
30 don't want to overwrite those icons with whatever is specified in the ebuild.
31 I don't care that much where they are put in the tree, that is an
32 implementation issue.
33
34 Paul
37 Paul de Vrieze