From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:39:39
1 On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 07:22, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > > inherit eutils
3 > >
4 > > make_desktop_entry pauldv.sh "Paul de Vrieze's custom shell script"
5 > > pauldv.png
8 > That would be ok to me.
9
10 Good, because it's already there... ;p
11
12 > > Or use /usr/share/applications for the icon files, since that is the
13 > > location in the freedesktop specification. Check out some of the games
14 > > ebuilds I have made (americas-army, enemy-territory) to see these in
15 > > action.
16 >
17 > I believe there is some specification for iconsets as used by kde and gnome.
18 > Kde for example provides icons for many applications, and there are also
19 > iconsets like the one from ximian that provide icons for most common
20 > applications. We probably want the ability to use those. That means that we
21 > don't want to overwrite those icons with whatever is specified in the ebuild.
22 > I don't care that much where they are put in the tree, that is an
23 > implementation issue.
24
25 The locations of the icon themes are independent of the location of the
26 default icon supplied by the package/ebuild itself. The default
27 location is /usr/share/pixmaps and subdirectories. I know in Gnome, the
28 icon themes are stored in /usr/share/icons and they override the default
29 icons in /usr/share/applications. The way to have an icon override is
30 to have ti in the proper directory in the icon theme directory structure
31 and for it to have the same basename.
32
33 For example, there can be a /usr/share/pixmaps/pauldv.xpm which is
34 provided by your own ebuild. I can create an icon theme in
35 /usr/share/icons called wolf31o2. If I create a file called
36 pauldv.{xpm,png,svg,jpg,etc} in the applications folder of my icon theme
37 and select my icon theme as my local icon theme, it will ignore the
38 default icon in /usr/share/pixmaps and use mine instead.
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Developer, Gentoo Linux