From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:31:05
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 22:03 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 >> To answer Daniel's other question, about bugs.g.o ... trac on
4 >> overlays.g.o will have its bug tracking system disabled. We already
5 >> have one bug tracking system - bugs.g.o - and that's sufficient.
6 >
7 > Umm... no?
8 >
9 > If some random developer goes out there and creates his own fork of
10 > catalyst in his overlay, I sure don't want to receive a *single* bug on
11 > it. Ever.
12 >
13 > If you're already using Trac, you should keep the bug tracking enabled,
14 > so the bugs stay with the overlay. Once something moves into the
15 > official tree, then it can use bugs.gentoo.org for its bug tracking.
16 > This means developers that don't wish to participate in the overlays are
17 > not forced to waste their time troubleshooting problems in these
18 > overlays and can focus on our *core* product, the portage tree.
19
20 Well, I don't care much, as long as:
21
22 - there's a separate Overlays product in bugzilla for this
23
24 - each such overlay has its own component under Overlay product with
25 default assignees set up (no, I won't check out all those overlays to
26 find out the maintainer, also, almost none of them uses metadata.xml)
27
28 - users are *vigorously* :P instructed to file the bugs under that
29 product/component and/or (?) mark them with something like [overlay-xxx]
30 so that I don't have to ponder who's maintaining that thing. If they
31 don't, the bugs end up as invalid b/c the ebuild is not in portage. Easy
32 enough.
33
34 While keeping those bugs in trac bug trackers seemed as a good idea to
35 me originally, most users are simply unable to do that anyway. We tried
36 w/ php overlay, didn't work much.
40 Best regards,
41
42 Jakub Moc
43 mailto:jakub@g.o
44 GPG signature:
45 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
46 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
47
48 ... still no signature ;)