From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>, udev-bugs@g.o, systemd <systemd@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 13:06:54
1 On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Steven J. Long
2 <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > It's funny how you always discuss those two options and consistently fail to mention
4 > the one option that allows people who never needed an initramfs before to continue
5 > without one, and still use udev in line with upstream requirements, but there it is:
6 >
7 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901206.html
8
9 If we clarify the decision (which seems increasingly likely as there
10 seems to be demand), I'd suggest we would vote on something like:
11
12 On Gentoo we (do, do not) support configurations that do not place
13 /usr on the root filesystem without an early-boot mechanism to mount
14 it (eg an initramfs, early-running script, init replacement, etc).
15
16 When I use the term initramfs it is intended just as a stand-in. That
17 said, I think that the initramfs is honestly the cleanest solution for
18 early-boot setup as it supports a huge variety of configurations.
19 However, the actual policy would be more general, and the options that
20 are available to users will be whatever the community is willing to
21 supply/support.
22
23 If anybody considers that ambiguous in any way please speak up now.
24
25 As far as my own position goes, I'll be voting for do not. That
26 doesn't mean that I think that maintainers should look to make
27 dramatic changes overnight - we should still be sending out news/etc.
28 I think that maintainers have made a sufficient case that this is
29 where the winds are blowing. I was pretty concerned about this when
30 the topic came up early last year, but I found getting dracut working
31 wasn't hard (it is easier and more robust now) and brought a number of
32 benefits beyond just mounting /usr. My root is now on lvm+mdadm, and
33 I have a separate /usr and /var and it all works just fine (they're
34 bind-mounts on top of yet another mount). When I build a new kernel
35 it only takes one line to build an initramfs to go with it.
36
37 Rich