From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>, udev-bugs@g.o, systemd <systemd@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 11:30:05
1 Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > How the /usr in other partition ended finally then? I though that, since
3 > there are a lot of things in / that rely in others in /usr, people were
4 > supposed to either use initramfs or busybox to get /usr mounted
5
6 As Rich said, lvm doesn't link outside rootfs so it's not an issue: you only really
7 need an initramfs if rootfs is on lvm/encrypted/raid, or you need udev to get through
8 localmount.
9
10 William Hubbs wrote:
11 > Unfortunately it hasn't ended; the debating over it just stopped.
12 >
13 > There was a council vote in April 2012 over this, but it isn't even
14 > clear what they voted for.
15
16 You know it was perfectly clear: zmedico had even posted the initial clarification
17 of chainsaw's agenda item, immediately it was raised, and as ulm made it clear the
18 last time this was discussed, that was what was voted on.
19
20 What happened after was that people who didn't like the decision tried to weasel out
21 of it by claiming that it wasn't really what was discussed, despite the clear trail.
22
23 More of "the stupidity of not accepting decisions" and moving on to implementation,
24 that is usually attributed to "traditionalists."
25
26 > My personal opinion though, is that if people have /usr separate from
27 > /, they should be using an initramfs to get /usr mounted. If they want
28 > to use busybox[sep-usr] this is an option that we came up with
29 > internally in gentoo, but it has many limitations.
30
31 It's funny how you always discuss those two options and consistently fail to mention
32 the one option that allows people who never needed an initramfs before to continue
33 without one, and still use udev in line with upstream requirements, but there it is:
34
35 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901206.html
36 (constructive feedback welcome, as ever: ie stuff that helps improve the situation,
37 not arguments about why udev's upstream requirement isn't really what GregKH said it
38 was.)
41 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)