From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] perl, sed and non-gsed
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:40:56
1 On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:31:33 +0200 "Diego \"Flameeyes\" Pettenò"
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 | On Thursday 07 April 2005 14:01, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > The OS X sed is broken. Or, at least, it is not a satisfactory
5 | > provider of sed-4, which is what we DEPEND upon.
6 | Well osx's sed is just posix sed, exactly the same of bsd sed.
7 | We depends on gsed for things which, imho, could be done using posix
8 | sed. Mainly the position of -i param, or the douple -e (which could be
9 | merged into a single expression).
10 | Probably both osx sed and bsd sed could be used without a bit of a
11 | trouble for portage purposes, with some tweaks here and there.
12
13 OSX sed does not do -i at all. Read up on the original "why OSX cannot
14 PROVIDE sed-4" discussion.
17 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
18 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
19 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm