From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-UTF8
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 05:19:20
1 * Spider <spider@g.o> [03/09/08 02:38 +0200]:
2 >yep, this goal is pretty big and will be a long time thing that should
3 >probably be covered by USE="utf8" or other flag, but in this case I'm
4 >looking for input from developers and users who have ideas on how to
5 >make this happen and make it a smooth transition.
6
7 I don't think a USE flag would help in this case. utf-8 is
8 mostly a configuration issue on a lot of dot-files. Or do
9 you want to extend ebuilds with utf8-use-switches that will
10 install different config-files?
11
12 Maybe a fresh-install could be done with using utf-8, but I
13 think an upgrade would be even harder. A lot of users set
14 their LOCALEs in their dot-files and they would dislike when
15 portage changes something in it.
16
17 But as I'm also a friend of utf-8, I suggest we should start
18 with a kind of dev-guide about what has to be changed, so
19 that the console and the various terminal-apps are able to
20 print proper utf-8. Then we can walk through the terminal-
21 and X-apps and test their utf-8-compliance. With all the
22 collected knowledge we can create default configuration
23 files and an extended "switching to utf-8" guide.
24
25 Regards, Lars