From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DEPENDing on system components
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:48:10
1 On Monday 23 July 2001 21:29, you wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 09:25:46PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > Can someone enlighten me: why DEPEND/RDEPEND on packages which are
6 > > *always* present on the system, and are even pre-built in build
7 > > snapshots? For example some ebuilds explicitly depend on virtual/glibc,
8 > > what's the point in that? Many ebuilds use things like flex bison etc. to
9 > > compile. When creating non-critical, non-system ebuilds which certainly
10 > > won't be built before glibc or the kernel - should I keep track of these
11 > > things?
12 >
13 > This is necessary so that you can build a complete system from scratch in
14 > the right order, i.e:
15 >
16 > # export ROOT=/mnt/gentoo
17 > # emerge system
18 >
19 > It's just safer to have some of these basic dependencies (like
20 > virtual/glibc) since they help "emerge system" with the build ordering.
21 > Also, some of these more basic dependencies *may not* be standard for
22 > embedded Gentoo Linux systems.
23 >
24 I understand that. Problem is, most packages don't have a published list for
25 the basic utilities which they use. To find out you basically have to read
26 the Makefile and look for any such commands. Buildinig an 'empty' system that
27 doesn't even have flex etc. sounds rather difficult, unless I just remove
28 flex from an existing one. So in really high-level things like enscript which
29 I just added, is it an absolute must?
30 Besides this is easy enough to fix if someone encounters a missing dependency.
33 Dan Armak
34 Gentoo Linux Developer
35 Matan, Israel