From: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:20:46
1 On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 00:25, Spider wrote:
2 > They are both dependant on the target module, and theres no way in a
3 > gnomes purple hell you are going to get me into a state where I can
4 > reboot first, and then rebuild the modules, only to reboot again so I
5 > have a working boot session. uh-oh- NO.
6 Yes, it makes more sense to "precompile" everything beforw a reboot.
7
8 > And no, you won't get me to emerge it with SLOT="purple-gnomes-2.4.44"
9 > either, Just because I sat down and got my own kerneltree installed into
10 > usr/src/testkernelwithextraJFSpatches , and then loose my existing ,
11 > working, tried kernelset.
12 Even worse:
13 1) emerge vanilla-sources
14 2) build kernel
15 3) emerge -U world a while later
16
17 --> Now you're using a kernel that has been compiled from 2.4.19, but
18 /usr/src/linux either points into the nirvana or to 2.4.22 which you
19 didn't order, which you do not use at the moment ...
20
21 I'd like to have kernels "sticky" so that they don't get updated unless
22 told to (and please don't tell me that I should put my kernel into
23 package.mask, that's not intuitive and leads only to errors)
24
25 > When you get this set to -automagically- detect the target kernel.,
26 > build modules and fix. then ok.
27 Sometimes a newer kernel won't boot with the same config. I'm still
28 using 2.4.19 because all the newer kernels ignore at least one pci
29 device (like the ide controller or network card !?)
30
31 > if you want it to depend on the running kernel, erm... No. theres a few
32 > things already that do so, and that is -BROKEN- behaviour. I don't even
33 > -HAVE- the sources for my running kernel at most times. What? No I
34 > don't need them. I shouldn't need to have my sources for the hard
35 > compiled and working copy of 2.4.18-saviour with extra everything that I
36 > know boots all my machines and I have in a .tar stored away for working
37 > order.
38 So maybe kernel managment should be user-controllable, i.e. "don't install
39 kernels and use -->this one for everything" ?
40
41 > Yes, this thread invoked a lot of hot emotions from my side.
42 /me agrees
43
44 Patrick
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list