From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:25:35
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:44:36 -0700
3 "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
4
5 > On Tuesday 21 October 2003 9:25, Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
6 >
7 > > Because it is useful to be able to compile modules for a target
8 > > kernel
9 > > that may be different than the running kernel, and a symlink is a
10 > > good way to point the target of your choice.
11 >
12 > Sure, that's an excellent point, but since the target kernel and the
13 > running kernel are likely on the same machine, and the current state
14 > of modules in portage IIRC isn't allowing the duplication of external
15 > modules packages, why not just be booted into the one you're making
16 > modules for? You're gonna end up rebooting either way eventually...
19 Then fix pcmcia-cs and alsa-driver before you suggest anything. as it
20 is, my machine won't boot properly without pcmcia-cs -and- alsa, as they
21 IRQ conflict unless loaded in a certain order.
22
23 They are both dependant on the target module, and theres no way in a
24 gnomes purple hell you are going to get me into a state where I can
25 reboot first, and then rebuild the modules, only to reboot again so I
26 have a working boot session. uh-oh- NO.
27
28 And no, you won't get me to emerge it with SLOT="purple-gnomes-2.4.44"
29 either, Just because I sat down and got my own kerneltree installed into
30 usr/src/testkernelwithextraJFSpatches , and then loose my existing ,
31 working, tried kernelset.
35 When you get this set to -automagically- detect the target kernel.,
36 build modules and fix. then ok.
37
38 if you want it to depend on the running kernel, erm... No. theres a few
39 things already that do so, and that is -BROKEN- behaviour. I don't even
40 -HAVE- the sources for my running kernel at most times. What? No I
41 don't need them. I shouldn't need to have my sources for the hard
42 compiled and working copy of 2.4.18-saviour with extra everything that I
43 know boots all my machines and I have in a .tar stored away for working
44 order.
45
46 Yes, this thread invoked a lot of hot emotions from my side.
49 // Spider
53 begin .signature
54 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
56 end