From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:08:17
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 04:49:25PM +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Daniel Drake napsal(a):
3 > > Jakub Moc wrote:
4 > >> - The in-kernel drivers seriously are not an equivalent alternative, let
5 > >> alone the preferred one, for stuff like hda-intel or any similar drivers
6 > >> that are under permanent heavy development, at least for now.
7 > >
8 > > If hda-intel (or any other driver) from the kernel sources does not work
9 > > on your system then you should file a bug. Yes, there are drivers under
10 > > heavily development, this also applies to many other kernel subsystems
11 > > too. We live with it. It's not as bad as it sounds.
12 >
13 > It not only doesn't work for me, it doesn't work for majority of people
14 > that have responded on this thread. So, something's wrong there I guess? :)
15 Maybe because this thread is a lot more interesting for people that
16 doesn't have working in-kernel drivers? For what it's worth I'm using
17 in-kernel alsa drivers with hda-intel and it's always worked just fine
18 for me.
19 >
20 > >> - This is not a duplicated maintenance effort, it's simply needed to
21 > >> have external alsa-drivers ebuilds, and it's needed to have them
22 > >> supported as ALSA upstream won't accept bugs about in-kernel drivers.
23 > >
24 > > That's not true. I have supported in-kernel ALSA drivers for a long time
25 > > and have never seen this be the case.
26 >
27 > Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure what are you responding to here? What I said
28 > was that "ALSA upstream won't accept bugs about in-kernel drivers" - now
29 > how's that related to whether you (or kernel upstream) support them or not?
30 Is it really important who supports it? I think most users would care
31 about their drivers being supported or not instead of who supports them.
32 >
33 > Additionally - forcing people to upgrade kernel for their sound issues
34 > is not a solution for many of them. Kernel upgrades tend to break lots
35 > of stuff on every minor version bump (and it's not only external modules
36 > that upstream seems to plain hate and ignore mostly). Not exactly what
37 > users would like to see when all they are trying to get is working
38 > sound. Plus it's lot easier (and faster) to get patches into external
39 > drivers than get them accepted into kernel.
40 I don't think anybody is trying to force anything. Daniel have stated
41 that alsa-driver should be supported for a long time.
42 >
43 > > Interestingly in this case, the in-kernel driver is a touch newer than
44 > > the hda-intel one. It includes support for a few more hardware devices.
45 > > Again these are only very small differences though.
46 >
47 > As said, it's not about code being newer or older, it's about having two
48 > different branches of the code. One works for someone, the other works
49 > for someone else. What's exactly the benefit from trying to kill support
50 > for upstream ALSA code and forcing people to use in-kernel drivers
51 > (beyond what you see as 'duplicated' maintenance effort)? Users honestly
52 > don't care much about 'duplicated' effort, they want a working sound on
53 > their boxes.
54 I'll just repeat myself here as you've basically just repeated your
55 claim about forcing people to use in-kernel drivers..
56
57 Nobody is forcing anybody to use in-kernel drivers.
58
59 Regards,
60 Bryan Østergaard
61 --