From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 07:22:31
1 Dnia 2014-09-15, o godz. 07:21:35
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sunday 14 September 2014 15:42:15 hasufell wrote:
5 > > Patrick Lauer:
6 > > >> Are we going to disallow merge commits and ask devs to rebase local
7 > > >> changes in order to keep the history "clean"?
8 > > >
9 > > > Is that going to be sane with our commit frequency?
10 > >
11 > > You have to merge or rebase anyway in case of a push conflict, so the
12 > > only difference is the method and the effect on the history.
13 > >
14 > > Currently... CVS allows you to run repoman on an outdated tree and push
15 > > broken ebuilds with repoman being happy. Git will not allow this.
16 >
17 > iow, git doesn't allow people to work on more than one item at a time?
18 >
19 > That'd mean I need half a dozen checkouts just to emulate cvs, which somehow
20 > doesn't make much sense to me ...
21
22 I'd appreciate if you reduced FUD to minimum.
23
24 What hasufell meant is that you normally don't have three year-old
25 files lying around in checkout because you did 'cvs up -dP' in another
26 directory. With git, you update everything.
27
28 What you do locally, is totally unrelated.
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny