From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:47:10
1 On Friday 18 November 2005 06:15 pm, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > 19.11.2005, 1:38:03, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > Incidentally, the benefit is to make users who are actively helping
4 > > Gentoo feel like they're part of the family. It was decided that a
5
6 So we give them an email account?? Is there any other purpose to that? We
7 could kill this whole debate by just sticking with the way things work right
8 now. The average "life" of an AT (before they turn full dev) is pretty short
9 in most cases anyway, so giving them a subdomain email just to have to move
10 it later is yet another administrative task that nobody has time for. Let
11 alone the confusion that has already been discussed, and the questions that
12 remain unanswered.
13
14 I am not against them having an email account if they deserve it, but if we
15 want to give them an email account it should be an all-or-nothing (@g.o or
16 not) thing.
17
18 > Before deciding on such proposals, it might be also wise to consult infra
19 > people who'll have to implement and maintain such things, IMHO. And, how
20 > exactly will be people having multiple roles handled here - still missing a
21 > clear answer...
22
23 Jakub++ Nobody in infra is on board with this idea, so you will be hard
24 pressed to find someone willing to implement it.
25
26 > I'm *not* against the concept of arch testers at all, in fact I find this
27 > idea pretty beneficial, but why do we need to complicate things and why do
28 > we need to create third-level domain emails for that?
29
30 Why not ditch the idea of yellow-starred "arch testers" and make it easy for
31 *all* users to participate in the stability-validation of all of our
32 packages? Make a site where users can profile their systems and "check off"
33 the ~arch packages that work for each system on an online copy of the package
34 repository. fex, Package X has 2,000 thumbs-up and no bugs reported, it
35 should be safe to bump it... No email accounts needed, and users and devs
36 alike can participate the same, whether they run just a single package ~arch
37 or multiple full-on systems.
38
39 This idea comes from a user in his blog:
40 http://blogs.zymeta.com/roller/page/dr?entry=kde_3_4_3
41
42 (we could easily implement such a system and keep AT's around, I'm just bent
43 on the sudden changes they are requiring to the rest of the way Gentoo works)
44
45 Cheers,
46
47 -Corey