From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 12:31:30
1 On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2016, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 21:45:05 -0500
5 >> Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 >>> Does pram allow you to pass options to git
8 >>> am (signedoffby for instance)?
9 >
10 >> It doesn't presently allow arbitrary arguments, and it would
11 >> probably be wise to avoid need for such arguments and prefer
12 >> convention over configuration, given what this is.
13 >
14 >> --signoff is already a default:
15 >
16 >> https://metacpan.org/source/MONSIEURP/Gentoo-App-Pram-0.003000/lib/Gentoo/App/Pram.pm#L71
17 >
18 > Maybe I have missed something, but why would one use --signoff for
19 > a Gentoo commit?
20 >
21 > For Linux (the kernel), the meaning of the line is that the
22 > contributor certifies the DCO (Developer's Certificate of Origin) [1].
23 > As we don't have a Gentoo DCO, it is not at all clear to me what the
24 > meaning of a Signed-off-by: line would be in the context of the gentoo
25 > tree.
26 >
27 > Even worse, I see commits having Signed-off-by: lines with obvious
28 > pseudonyms instead of a real name, which would be meaningless even if
29 > one would say that the Linux rules apply. (Also, we have the rule that
30 > real names must be provided for all developers, with no exceptions to
31 > be made for people doing copyrightable work [2].)
32
33 This is probably worthy of a separate thread.
34
35 But I completely agree: it's meaningless. Mesa, the project I work on
36 professionally, has the same cargo-culted Signed-off-by with patch
37 reviewers even pointing out lack of (still meaningless!) S-o-b.
38
39 To all: Signed-off-by doesn't mean anything without a Developer
40 Certificate of Origin. Until a time when Gentoo has one, please stop
41 putting it on your commits.