From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 09:10:46
1 >>>>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2016, Kent Fredric wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 21:45:05 -0500
4 > Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
5
6 >> Does pram allow you to pass options to git
7 >> am (signedoffby for instance)?
8
9 > It doesn't presently allow arbitrary arguments, and it would
10 > probably be wise to avoid need for such arguments and prefer
11 > convention over configuration, given what this is.
12
13 > --signoff is already a default:
14
15 > https://metacpan.org/source/MONSIEURP/Gentoo-App-Pram-0.003000/lib/Gentoo/App/Pram.pm#L71
16
17 Maybe I have missed something, but why would one use --signoff for
18 a Gentoo commit?
19
20 For Linux (the kernel), the meaning of the line is that the
21 contributor certifies the DCO (Developer's Certificate of Origin) [1].
22 As we don't have a Gentoo DCO, it is not at all clear to me what the
23 meaning of a Signed-off-by: line would be in the context of the gentoo
24 tree.
25
26 Even worse, I see commits having Signed-off-by: lines with obvious
27 pseudonyms instead of a real name, which would be meaningless even if
28 one would say that the Linux rules apply. (Also, we have the rule that
29 real names must be provided for all developers, with no exceptions to
30 be made for people doing copyrightable work [2].)
31
32 Ulrich
33
34 [1] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches?id=dca22a63fd036c3ebb50212060eba0080f178126#n428