From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 05:32:45
1 On 10/19/2016 02:10 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2016, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 21:45:05 -0500
5 >> Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 >>> Does pram allow you to pass options to git
8 >>> am (signedoffby for instance)?
9 >
10 >> It doesn't presently allow arbitrary arguments, and it would
11 >> probably be wise to avoid need for such arguments and prefer
12 >> convention over configuration, given what this is.
13 >
14 >> --signoff is already a default:
15 >
16 >> https://metacpan.org/source/MONSIEURP/Gentoo-App-Pram-0.003000/lib/Gentoo/App/Pram.pm#L71
17 >
18 > Maybe I have missed something, but why would one use --signoff for
19 > a Gentoo commit?
20 >
21 > For Linux (the kernel), the meaning of the line is that the
22 > contributor certifies the DCO (Developer's Certificate of Origin) [1].
23 > As we don't have a Gentoo DCO, it is not at all clear to me what the
24 > meaning of a Signed-off-by: line would be in the context of the gentoo
25 > tree.
26 >
27 > Even worse, I see commits having Signed-off-by: lines with obvious
28 > pseudonyms instead of a real name, which would be meaningless even if
29 > one would say that the Linux rules apply. (Also, we have the rule that
30 > real names must be provided for all developers, with no exceptions to
31 > be made for people doing copyrightable work [2].)
32 >
33 > Ulrich
34 >
35 > [1] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches?id=dca22a63fd036c3ebb50212060eba0080f178126#n428
36 > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#What_does_the_recruitment_process_involve.3F
37 >
38 The way I understood "signed off by" for Gentoo is "I am a developer who
39 looked at the code and tested it, confirming it works on my system". If
40 an AT signs off, they are certifying that it passes their test muster.
41
42 It's a more formal "looks good to me", and provides a point of
43 accountability if the commit _isn't_ up to par.
46 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
47 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
48 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6