From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 06:30:06
1 Dnia 24 października 2016 07:32:26 CEST, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >On 10/19/2016 02:10 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2016, Kent Fredric wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 21:45:05 -0500
6 >>> Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>>> Does pram allow you to pass options to git
9 >>>> am (signedoffby for instance)?
10 >>
11 >>> It doesn't presently allow arbitrary arguments, and it would
12 >>> probably be wise to avoid need for such arguments and prefer
13 >>> convention over configuration, given what this is.
14 >>
15 >>> --signoff is already a default:
16 >>
17 >>>
18 >https://metacpan.org/source/MONSIEURP/Gentoo-App-Pram-0.003000/lib/Gentoo/App/Pram.pm#L71
19 >>
20 >> Maybe I have missed something, but why would one use --signoff for
21 >> a Gentoo commit?
22 >>
23 >> For Linux (the kernel), the meaning of the line is that the
24 >> contributor certifies the DCO (Developer's Certificate of Origin)
25 >[1].
26 >> As we don't have a Gentoo DCO, it is not at all clear to me what the
27 >> meaning of a Signed-off-by: line would be in the context of the
28 >gentoo
29 >> tree.
30 >>
31 >> Even worse, I see commits having Signed-off-by: lines with obvious
32 >> pseudonyms instead of a real name, which would be meaningless even if
33 >> one would say that the Linux rules apply. (Also, we have the rule
34 >that
35 >> real names must be provided for all developers, with no exceptions to
36 >> be made for people doing copyrightable work [2].)
37 >>
38 >> Ulrich
39 >>
40 >> [1]
41 >http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches?id=dca22a63fd036c3ebb50212060eba0080f178126#n428
42 >> [2]
43 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#What_does_the_recruitment_process_involve.3F
44 >>
45 >The way I understood "signed off by" for Gentoo is "I am a developer
46 >who
47 >looked at the code and tested it, confirming it works on my system". If
48 >an AT signs off, they are certifying that it passes their test muster.
49 >
50 >It's a more formal "looks good to me", and provides a point of
51 >accountability if the commit _isn't_ up to par.
52
53 How about Gentoo developers stopping to reuse things that have well-defined meaning for something completely different?
57 Best regards,
58 Michał Górny (by phone)