From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: Mart Raudsepp <leio@××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:16:35
1 On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:24:25 +0200
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 22:58, Tom Wesley wrote:
5 > > This discussion seems to be leading towards the use of scripting (?)
6 > > languages like Python and Perl, and more mentions of Python than
7 > > anything else. I have to say that I like the idea of this, least of
8 > > all because it will give me some ability to comment on portage and
9 > > other Gentoo specifics. I like this idea, as for some reason it
10 > > sounds less of a large slope to climb. If/when I get there, what
11 > > are the GTK+2 and QT bindings like for Python? I'm mainly concerned
12 > > about the speed and how similar it is to using C/C++ - it's quite
13 > > probable that I'll want to learn either eventually.
14 >
15 > GTK+-2.x Python bindings (PyGTK[1][2]) and Qt 3.x Python bindings
16 > (PyQT[3]) mostly just wrap around the C (for gtk+) and C++ (for Qt)
17 > library with an extension, thus actually the speed loss isn't too
18 > signifact. For example in the world of wxWidgets[4] many people first
19 > write the application in wxPython[5] first as the GUI can be written
20 > quickly, easilly changed, no need to waste time on compiling, etc.
21 > Often it stays in python too. The skeletal is done in python so to
22 > say.
23 >
24 > The API function names are kept as close as possible to the C/C++
25 > couterpart so later doing it directly in C/C++ shouldn't be too hard
26 > once you have the basics and have memorized the function names. Less
27 > often need to look into the reference you keep under your pillow ;)
28 > Often there are multiple functions in python for one function in
29 > C/C++, that's because python doesn't know about function overloading.
30 >
31 > Personally I started with BASIC, then Pascal, then took on C and C++.
32 > And the more high-level the more I like it, thus I don't do low-level
33 > C coding, only when I have to :P
34 > Python is a very good language with which to start serious
35 > programming. No need to worry about declaring variables,
36
37 And that's what I dislike (am I the only one?) in script languages.
38 (Mostly) you don't know the actual content of the variables. Is it a
39 string? An Integer? An object reference? (Yeah I know there are
40 possibilities to find it out). Why to find out such things if you could
41 declare it in "right" languages?
42
43 > you learn doing identation
44 > right due to the language, you can program interactively, you have the
45 > help system right there build in, and so on.
46 >
47 > References:
48 > 1. http://www.daa.com.au/~james/pygtk/
49 > 2. http://www.pygtk.org/