From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:24:18
1 On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 22:58, Tom Wesley wrote:
2 > This discussion seems to be leading towards the use of scripting (?) languages
3 > like Python and Perl, and more mentions of Python than anything else. I have
4 > to say that I like the idea of this, least of all because it will give me
5 > some ability to comment on portage and other Gentoo specifics.
6 > I like this idea, as for some reason it sounds less of a large slope to climb.
7 > If/when I get there, what are the GTK+2 and QT bindings like for Python? I'm
8 > mainly concerned about the speed and how similar it is to using C/C++ - it's
9 > quite probable that I'll want to learn either eventually.
10
11 GTK+-2.x Python bindings (PyGTK[1][2]) and Qt 3.x Python bindings
12 (PyQT[3]) mostly just wrap around the C (for gtk+) and C++ (for Qt)
13 library with an extension, thus actually the speed loss isn't too
14 signifact. For example in the world of wxWidgets[4] many people first
15 write the application in wxPython[5] first as the GUI can be written
16 quickly, easilly changed, no need to waste time on compiling, etc. Often
17 it stays in python too. The skeletal is done in python so to say.
18
19 The API function names are kept as close as possible to the C/C++
20 couterpart so later doing it directly in C/C++ shouldn't be too hard
21 once you have the basics and have memorized the function names. Less
22 often need to look into the reference you keep under your pillow ;)
23 Often there are multiple functions in python for one function in C/C++,
24 that's because python doesn't know about function overloading.
25
26 Personally I started with BASIC, then Pascal, then took on C and C++.
27 And the more high-level the more I like it, thus I don't do low-level C
28 coding, only when I have to :P
29 Python is a very good language with which to start serious programming.
30 No need to worry about declaring variables, you learn doing identation
31 right due to the language, you can program interactively, you have the
32 help system right there build in, and so on.
33
34 References:
35 1. http://www.daa.com.au/~james/pygtk/
36 2. http://www.pygtk.org/