From: Tom Wesley <tom.wesley@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:56:41
1 On Monday 22 Mar 2004 20:48, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Dennis Allison wrote:
3 > > I don't want to start a flame war, but after an initial love affair I
4 > > dont't much like Java. It's not a "better C++", it's a "different C++".
5 > > I found the hype associated with the language irritatiing and the lack of
6 > > stability as the language evolved unfortunate. But there are places
7 > > where the language was useful and I put aside my personal prejudices and
8 > > worked with the notation.
9 > >
10 > > But, I personally don't think Java's a good language for Andrew's
11 > > purpose--which is to learn to program.
12 >
13 > Tom Wesley was the OP, not me :) The point is still valid, though.
14
15 Who said that? ;)
18 > > In a very real sense, I think assembly lanaguage (or even Hex machine
19 > > code) may be a good place to start to learn programming. A good macro
20 > > assembler is an awesome tool in the hands of a skilled programmer. Some
21 > > beginning programming books--Yale Patt's in particular--adopt the view
22 > > that everyone should learn about programming from the bits up.
23 >
24 > Assembly is something I still wish to learn. Maybe I actually will someday.
25
26 I've neither the patience or the coffee, me thinks.
29 > > My point was/is that programming is language independent. I've always
30 > > liked Michael Griffith's comment about programming: "I always use the
31 > > same programming language no matter what the compiler" or something like
32 > > that. Using a polymorphic, internally consistent, object-oriented
33 > > language like Python is a good framework to learn programming. I think
34 > > Python does a pretty good job of capturing the abstractions you need to
35 > > write simple, conceptually clear programs. You don't have to worry about
36 > > the nits, you can program interactively and see what happens, and there's
37 > > not the huge overhead of type mechanisms to drag into every single little
38 > > program. The language is introspective (aka introspective) so programs
39 > > can learn about their own structure.
40 >
41 > Perl is good for mostly the same reasons, which is why it's my current
42 > language of choice.
43 >
44 > > But ultimately the only way to learn about programming is to read
45 > > programs and work with masters in the field. It's still an art not a
46 > > science.
47
48 I think I may have given a slightly wrong impression with my original email -
49 I am a programmer or sorts, but have done nothing in either Linux or
50 C/C++....
51
52 This discussion seems to be leading towards the use of scripting (?) languages
53 like Python and Perl, and more mentions of Python than anything else. I have
54 to say that I like the idea of this, least of all because it will give me
55 some ability to comment on portage and other Gentoo specifics.
56 I like this idea, as for some reason it sounds less of a large slope to climb.
57 If/when I get there, what are the GTK+2 and QT bindings like for Python? I'm
58 mainly concerned about the speed and how similar it is to using C/C++ - it's
59 quite probable that I'll want to learn either eventually.
62 Tom Wesley