From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:49:16
1 Dennis Allison wrote:
2 > I don't want to start a flame war, but after an initial love affair I
3 > dont't much like Java. It's not a "better C++", it's a "different C++". I
4 > found the hype associated with the language irritatiing and the lack of
5 > stability as the language evolved unfortunate. But there are places where
6 > the language was useful and I put aside my personal prejudices and worked
7 > with the notation.
8 >
9 > But, I personally don't think Java's a good language for Andrew's
10 > purpose--which is to learn to program.
11
12 Tom Wesley was the OP, not me :) The point is still valid, though.
13
14 > In a very real sense, I think assembly lanaguage (or even Hex machine
15 > code) may be a good place to start to learn programming. A good macro
16 > assembler is an awesome tool in the hands of a skilled programmer. Some
17 > beginning programming books--Yale Patt's in particular--adopt the view
18 > that everyone should learn about programming from the bits up.
19
20 Assembly is something I still wish to learn. Maybe I actually will someday.
21
22 > My point was/is that programming is language independent. I've always
23 > liked Michael Griffith's comment about programming: "I always use the same
24 > programming language no matter what the compiler" or something like that.
25 > Using a polymorphic, internally consistent, object-oriented language like
26 > Python is a good framework to learn programming. I think Python does a
27 > pretty good job of capturing the abstractions you need to write simple,
28 > conceptually clear programs. You don't have to worry about the nits, you
29 > can program interactively and see what happens, and there's not the huge
30 > overhead of type mechanisms to drag into every single little program. The
31 > language is introspective (aka introspective) so programs can learn about
32 > their own structure.
33
34 Perl is good for mostly the same reasons, which is why it's my current language of choice.
35
36 > But ultimately the only way to learn about programming is to read programs
37 > and work with masters in the field. It's still an art not a science.
40 Andrew Gaffney
41 Network Administrator
42 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
43 636-357-1548