From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RPM installer for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:30:48
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 26 August 2003 8:16 pm, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>Is their currently a script/program out there that will install an RPM
5 >>onto a Gentoo system? I'm not talking about 'rpm --nodeps -i file.rpm'.
6 >>I mean a program that will parse the RPMs dependencies and then use
7 >>portage to try and satisfy those dependencies, write a dummy ebuild,
8 >>then use portage to install it. Yes, I know RPMs are the spawn of Satan.
9 >>No, I do not need this program for myself. I just think it would be an
10 >>interesting project.
13 > Please excuse me for this, but I think it would be a nightmare, and a waste of
14 > time.
15 >
16 > The problem isn't the dependencies, it's converting the install scripts from a
17 > RedHat-compatible system to a Gentoo one.
18 >
19 > I maintain a few ebuilds which have this very problem, and to date I haven't
20 > figured out a way of performing that automatic conversion. If someone does,
21 > then I'd like to hear from them.
22
23 Ah, I had forgotten about those pesky post-install scripts.
26 Andrew Gaffney
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list