From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Illegal news item name
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 02:23:14
1 On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Ulrich Mueller<ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
3 >
4 >> it was brought up by ulm that the news item
5 >> '2009-04-18-java-config-wrapper-0.16' has an illegal name because it
6 >> contains a dot.
7 >
8 > I stumbled upon this when I experimented with news to e-mail
9 > forwarding, where there are some limitations for the characters
10 > allowed in headers. Of course everything can be filtered, but things
11 > would be easier if we could stick to the GLEP 42 specification
12 > (namely "a"-"z", "0"-"9", "+", "-", and "_").
13 >
14 >> The question is what to do now, rename it? Users will then see it
15 >> again, and I don't know if there are even worse consequences.
16 >
17 >> Betelgeuse suggested also commit hook that would check filenames.
18 >
19 > Infra, would this be possible? Only files with names
20 > yyyy-mm-dd-shortname.lang.txt and yyyy-mm-dd-shortname.lang.txt.asc
21 > (for detached signature) should be allowed, and character set as
22 > mentioned above.
23
24 Write a script that checks filenames and give it to Robin (and make
25 sure it doesn't suck). These types of things tend to get done faster
26 when you just say "here is the script to do X drop it into place plz."
29 > Ulrich