From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 20:16:33
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2 > And I see absolutely no harm in explicitly annotating the actual
3 > copyright in gentoo ebuilds.
4
5 It seems like a simple and practical enough way to go. However, one of
6 the arguments going for assigning copyright to the Gentoo foundation
7 at the time we discussed it is that it offers some level of legal
8 protection to the developer or external contributor. I have first hand
9 experience of how abusive lawyers can sue you for totally invalid
10 IP-related reasons and ruin your life. I've been fighting exactly that
11 for almost 10 years now. So I certainly appreciate the comfort that
12 assigning copyright of my Gentoo work to the foundation provides me.
13 Having grown up in Europe I can see why people would think this could
14 never happen to them, but living in the US has taught me differently.
15
16 That said, we could always make it possible for the developer to
17 voluntarily assign copyright to the foundation if (s)he so desires.
18 And I would certainly do that for myself.
19
20 Calchan.