From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 21:01:32
1 On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > That said, we could always make it possible for the developer to
4 > voluntarily assign copyright to the foundation if (s)he so desires.
5 > And I would certainly do that for myself.
8 The envisioned approach was being able to voluntarily sign the FLA.
9 The wording of the FLA "...assigns to Gentoo the Copyright in computer
10 programs and other copyrightable material world-wide, or in countries
11 where such an assignment is not possible, grants an exclusive
12 licence..."
13 https://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/fla.pdf (.tex extension also at this URL)
14
15 It also has some copyleft style protections so it isn't the universal
16 handover of rights typically associated with a CLA. It is based on an
17 FSFe template.
18
19 I think it is worth better understanding some of the personal legal
20 risks you bring up. Obviously if you don't have any personal
21 "property" in the copyrights there is less incentive to go after you
22 as an individual, though more incentive to go after the Foundation.
23 The copyleft provisions might act as a poison pill to deter going
24 after either (to truly seize the copyrights you might actually have to
25 successfully sue both parties, possibly in different countries, and if
26 you want to seize the entire distro's copyrights you could have to sue
27 hundreds of people). We just need to make sure we don't tick off the
28 RIAA...
31 Rich