From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project summaries - Alpha Arch Team
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:32:29
1 Hi!
2
3 So where are we at with alpha currently?
4
5 Xorg-1.5
6 --------
7 As some of you know, xorg-1.5 abandoned the "classic" way of
8 interfacing with PCI and AGP cards in favor of using
9 libpciaccess. That, in turn expects support from the kernel in
11
12 Unfortunately, alpha until recently hat no support for those PCI
13 resources (which is partly due to the way alpha IO space is
14 structured and partly due to a crucial extension not being
15 available on old Alphas (older than EV5).
16
17 As such, we weren't able to keyword or stabilize Xorg-1.5 until
18 recently, when 2.6.30-rc* saw support finally being added.
19 Naturally, packages depending on >=xorg-1.5 had to be held off,
20 too.
21
22 The -rc kernels are keyworded ~alpha so people can test. So far,
23 -rc3 and rc4 are looking good, so we will keyword xorg and deps
24 soon (I'm aiming for this weekend) and if all goes well, we will
25 have it stable, soon.
26
27 Note that this will mean that people with EV4-Alphas will *not*
28 be able to use Xorg-1.5 just now. I feel that those machines are
29 so slow that very few will run X11 anyway, if there are Gentoo
30 installations on those to start with.
31
32 Glibc/Toolchain
33 ---------------
34
35 Glibc has had a bug for ages (regarding ceil() and friends, bug
36 number 264335) which should really be fixed. Upstream is umm..
37 their usual selves about it. On top, a patch for fdatasync() (bug
38 264336) is available which upstream... well, you get it.
39
40 Workload
41 --------
42
43 Currently, the alpha arch team consists of me (the nominal lead)
44 and armin76 who helps a lot with getting stable request answered
45 in a timely manner.
46
47 Also, we're in the process of recruiting mattst88 as an arch
48 tester. He's currently deep in exam-land at university, so the
49 process is on hold for now.
50
51 Users/Community
52 ---------------
53
54 Aside from those on the team and one or two other devs, I've had
55 little to no direct feedback from Gentoo alpha users. I try to
56 write about Alpha regularly on my blog (available on the planet)
57 and I'm easily reachable as Blackb|rd on Freenode (#gentoo-alpha,
58 naturally).
59
60 I've been toying with the idea of offering something akin to
61 Debians popularity contest tool. Some people are rather
62 uncomfortable with data gathering tools that send stuff to some
63 strangers, so I don't know how well it would work. I list this
64 idea here, since I have just about no idea what actual alpha
65 hardware is used with Gentoo out there. Knowing which packages
66 are actually *used* (instead of just being stabilized for the
67 heck of it) would be nice. Added benefit of that would be that
68 users helping with testing would reduce workload.
72 In essence: we're busy and I'd love to get more feedback what
73 people (both users and devs) think we could do better, or
74 more/less of.
75
76 Regards,
77 Tobias,
78 who turned 42 in octal today
82 The only problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes,
83 trouble shoots back.