From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: new category, app-containers
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:35:45
1 On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:42:33AM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 06/14/2017 06:11 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > Is it time to start thinking about an app-containers category?
4 > > If so, is it ok for me to start an app-containers category with these
5 > > packages then we can look into moving other packages to it?
6 >
7 > Personally I don't see much value in introducing a new category at this
8 > point. Package moves always introduce a certain degree of complexity
9 > (e.g requiring maintainers in main tree and other repositories to update
10 > dependency specifications), is there really value from introducing this
11 > category vs the existing one? in the general case I'd like to see less
12 > categories rather than more.
13
14 In the main tree, imo, updating the dependencies should be handled by
15 the person doing the package move, so it shouldn't affect other
16 maintainers.
17
18 As far as overlays go, it is true that overlay maintainers might have to
19 adjust things, but overlay maintainers are on their own anyway.
20
21 I see categories as a way to classify packages. If a category is too
22 broad more categories should be created if possible. I can think of two
23 other categories in the tree that may be able to be cleaned up in the
24 future, but it would mean more categories.
25
26 William