From: Peter Weller <welp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: keyring
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:39:35
1 On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 19:11 +0100, Peter Weller wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 19:36 +0200, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
3 > > Le dimanche 20 avril 2008 à 20:25 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev a écrit :
4 > > > On 4/20/08, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > > for what it's worth, as a gnome dev I didn't see any convincing
6 > > > > arguments as to why it should be renamed. Gnome makes things optional
7 > > > > for other to reuse (like xfce) but afaik no other "keyring" like
8 > > > > programs are optional deps of another package in portage. Let's not cast
9 > > > > a simple change into breakage for users already using it (even in
10 > > > > stable, and yes I'm lazy :D).
11 > > >
12 > > > Lazy is the word.
13 > > > I cannot argue with this one, I just know that it won't be the gnome
14 > > > herd who do the work when the time come to fix this (resolve
15 > > > conflict).
16 > > > The gnome herd will re-introduce the lazy ticket, and make other herd
17 > > > use yet another confusing USE flag.
18 > > > This is not the right way to maintain long term constants.
19 > >
20 > > failure, you tried to argue ;)
21 > >
22 > > > You asked for objections... You got some.
23 > > >
24 > > > You can leave this local USE flag, and stay with generic term.
25 > > > Or you can rename it when it goes global so it have proper name.
26 > > > You can also ignore this and force gnome onto all users.
27 > >
28 > > Seriously though, when I find stuff to fix, I try to fix it. I just
29 > > don't see anything to fix right now.
30 >
31 > There are currently three options in my mind: to rename the USE flag as
32 > 'gnome-keyring', to just globalize the 'keyring' USE flag as is, or to
33 > remove the USE flag completely. Each have a number of downs and ups:
34 >
35 > Renaming
36 > 1) We have to change 9 ebuilds to reflect the change
37 > 2) Almost all Gnome users will be affected in one way or another
38 > 3) Technically correct
39 > 4) Reduces chances of future collisions
40 > 5) More work for developers
41 >
42 > Keeping it as is
43 > 1) Less headache for Gnome users in the short term (but possibly
44 > more if we rename it in the future
45 > 2) Less work for me/Gnome herd
46 > 3) Technically incorrect
47 > 4) Could result in conflicts in the future
48 >
49 > Removing
50 > 1) Nice and simple. Just force all packages to compile with
51 > --gnome-keyring
52 > 2) A large number of users will probably start complaining about
53 > all their packages being compiled with gnome-keyring support
54 > 3) Xfce people will hate hate hate, I will be crucified.
55 >
56 > After consideration of the above, and consultation with the Gnome herd,
57 > I think that the best option would be to rename the USE flag to
58 > gnome-keyring.
59 >
60 > If anyone has any objections to *that*, pipe up before tomorrow evening.
61 All done. If anyone spots any missed packages/problems, feel free to fix
62 or poke me to fix it.
65 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list