From: Peter Weller <welp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: keyring
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:11:04
1 On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 19:36 +0200, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
2 > Le dimanche 20 avril 2008 à 20:25 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev a écrit :
3 > > On 4/20/08, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > for what it's worth, as a gnome dev I didn't see any convincing
5 > > > arguments as to why it should be renamed. Gnome makes things optional
6 > > > for other to reuse (like xfce) but afaik no other "keyring" like
7 > > > programs are optional deps of another package in portage. Let's not cast
8 > > > a simple change into breakage for users already using it (even in
9 > > > stable, and yes I'm lazy :D).
10 > >
11 > > Lazy is the word.
12 > > I cannot argue with this one, I just know that it won't be the gnome
13 > > herd who do the work when the time come to fix this (resolve
14 > > conflict).
15 > > The gnome herd will re-introduce the lazy ticket, and make other herd
16 > > use yet another confusing USE flag.
17 > > This is not the right way to maintain long term constants.
18 >
19 > failure, you tried to argue ;)
20 >
21 > > You asked for objections... You got some.
22 > >
23 > > You can leave this local USE flag, and stay with generic term.
24 > > Or you can rename it when it goes global so it have proper name.
25 > > You can also ignore this and force gnome onto all users.
26 >
27 > Seriously though, when I find stuff to fix, I try to fix it. I just
28 > don't see anything to fix right now.
29
30 There are currently three options in my mind: to rename the USE flag as
31 'gnome-keyring', to just globalize the 'keyring' USE flag as is, or to
32 remove the USE flag completely. Each have a number of downs and ups:
33
34 Renaming
35 1) We have to change 9 ebuilds to reflect the change
36 2) Almost all Gnome users will be affected in one way or another
37 3) Technically correct
38 4) Reduces chances of future collisions
39 5) More work for developers
40
41 Keeping it as is
42 1) Less headache for Gnome users in the short term (but possibly
43 more if we rename it in the future
44 2) Less work for me/Gnome herd
45 3) Technically incorrect
46 4) Could result in conflicts in the future
47
48 Removing
49 1) Nice and simple. Just force all packages to compile with
50 --gnome-keyring
51 2) A large number of users will probably start complaining about
52 all their packages being compiled with gnome-keyring support
53 3) Xfce people will hate hate hate, I will be crucified.
54
55 After consideration of the above, and consultation with the Gnome herd,
56 I think that the best option would be to rename the USE flag to
57 gnome-keyring.
58
59 If anyone has any objections to *that*, pipe up before tomorrow evening.
62 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list