From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 00:42:17
1 On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 11:29:50PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > Some time ago William asked me to move UID/GID assignments from wiki [1]
7 > > to something more accessible. I've finally gotten around to draft
8 > > something, and I'd like to hear your comments about it. The idea is to
9 > > keep a whitespace-separated record format file in api.gentoo.org repo.
10 > >
11 > > This is mostly inspired by Fedora's format, specifically the ability to
12 > > specify both UID and GID for matching user/group on the same line.
13 > > I've also decided not to attempt to specify disjoint Linux and FreeBSD
14 > > users/groups on a single line. Instead, they are specified separately
15 > > and defined by providers (as suggested by Ulrich).
16 > >
17 > > Sample, along with big comment explaining the file format, below.
18 >
19 > I'm not sure how I feel about whitespace delimiters for this. withno
20 > further specification, it would make these two lines completely valid:
21 >
22 > root 0 0 baselayout
23 > bin 1 1 baselayout some notes here
24
25 That's true, but I think with editor settings embedded in the file and
26 visual pattern of vertical alignment we shouldn't expect a bunch of
27 problems.
28
29 Michał's original proposal is very readable. Just because it's a "data
30 file" I don't think we should go out of our way to limit readability.