From: Lorenzo Hernandez Garcia-Hierro <lorenzo@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: linux-usb-devel@×××××××××××××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2.6.11-gentoo-r7: If USB core API (usbcore) is built-in, it conflicts with the rest of usb-dependent modules
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:40:35
1 El mié, 11-05-2005 a las 14:44 -0700, Greg KH escribió:
2 > Well, can you duplicate this against a clean 2.6.12-rc4 or 2.6.11.8
3 > kernel? I don't trust the hardened gentoo kernel patches at all...
4
5 I've been testing the heck, and this is what we have right now (on
6 2.6.11-gentoo-r8, without any weird patch rather than Gentoo's ones
7 which have nothing t do with USB and the like, nor modify the ABI as
8 hardened-sources patch-set does):
9
10 We have the following input modules: psmouse, sermouse, usbhid: usbkbd,
11 usbmouse.
12
13 Also, all USB-related code is modularized, as you can see in the
14 attached .config .
15
16 The case:
17
18 we unload psmouse, hence ALPS touchpad (this is HP zv5045eu laptop, the
19 amazing world of almost-unsupported stuff ;) stops working.
20 immediately we load the usbmouse module which shouldn't be needed due to
21 usbhid, and we don't get the mouse working but at least, it shows up
22 without the "bad cable" error:
23
24 drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
25
26 then we load psmouse again..., and we get:
27
28 drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
29 hub 4-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
30
31 At this point, it's evident that psmouse and sermouse aren't able to
32 co-exist with usbhid or usbmouse (BTW, my host controllers are EHCI and
33 OHCI, no UHCI thingy).
34
35 The complete process:
36
37 usbcore: deregistering driver usbmouse
38 usbcore: deregistering driver usbhid
39 usbcore: deregistering driver hiddev
40 usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
41 usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
42 drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
43 usbcore: registered new driver usbmouse
44 drivers/usb/input/usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
45 ALPS Touchpad (Glidepoint) detected
46 Enabling hardware tapping
47 input: AlpsPS/2 ALPS TouchPad on isa0060/serio4
48 hub 4-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
49
50 So, it's not a fault regarding my configuration or my hardware but a
51 problem regarding the way that input drivers get registered and more
52 important, how USB input devices register (well, I think psmouse should
53 get built-in, but I'm lost, I've lost the count on the times I have
54 plugged, unplugged, recompiled and compiled again, and this host won't
55 be able to suffer more plugging-unplugging insane fun).
56
57 I've been looking fr other people with the same issue and there are a
58 few, they're lucky that they have PS2 but this laptop has "obsoleted"
59 those nice ports.
60
61 The device works on a USB 1.1 host controller-powered machine running
62 hotplug, udev and more concretely Ubuntu Linux Hoary (from the last I
63 time I used it, that was before my CRT screen got out of business...),
64 so, It may concern USB 2.0 EHCI controller and the way it does or
65 doesn't the supportability for low-velocity USB 1.1 (but it works with
66 an HCI device which is based on the BlueFritz! chip, that is, bfusb
67 driver, and that's not USB 2.0).
68
69 I hope to get this fixed for all of the users who suffer the problem of
70 having 2.0 host controllers not working with USB mouses (among those
71 like me who rely on a weird ALPS touch-pad, with the risk of getting
72 those damn RSI).
73
74 Cheers and many thanks in advance.
75 PS: No, it's not "Tom's hardware" week here, even if it looks like that
76 to me. Just bad luck ;).
77 --
78 Lorenzo Hernández García-Hierro <lorenzo@×××.org>
79 [1024D/6F2B2DEC] & [2048g/9AE91A22][http://tuxedo-es.org]