From: Thilo Bangert <thilo.bangert@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Desktop Configuration Guide
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 07:52:44
1 > Since you brought this up... There is a little problem with leaving
2 > the .kde directory there. The system will completely step on it when
3 > it creates a .kde2 (or possibly .kde3?) directory and then turns .kde
4 > into a symlink pointing to .kde2 (I did lose all my kde old settings
5 > until I could get access to my backup). This is a huge pain if you
6 > have kmail setup with lots of providers and you leave the addressbook
7 > in the default location (I already learned my lesson about those two
8 > apps so no loss for me this time ;). Also, konqueror stores all of
9 > its cookies, bookmarks, cache, etc. in the .kde tree (I now use
10 > Galeon [by the way, thanks to Gentoo, I could never get this to
11 > compile myself before] so this also isn't a big deal to me anymore).
12
13 jepp, i fell over that one too - but i would say it's my own fault, i
14 could have kept backups....
15
16 for most users all this will not be too dangerous, as they just started
17 their system up. others, perhaps migrating from a different distro, are
18 much more at risk
19
20 i just think it is very wrong to suggest to delete ~/.kde to fix a bug
23 regards
24 Thilo