From: Ian Smith <ian.c.smith@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/init.d
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:35:50
1 Ric Mesier wrote:
2 > Yannick,
3 > I appreciate your argument, but you can't equate a start-up script with
4 > a binary. Yes, the binary is critical but it isn't likely to be
5 > custom-altered like a start-up script might be. If I emerge package, I
6 > expect the binaries to be altered. If I created a customer rc script,
7 > then I want to be the one to clobber it, not have the emerge clobber it.
8
9 You can equate them in the sense that they execute things, in fact the
10 only sense in which they are config files is by virtue of them being
11 under /etc !
12
13 A cynic might even suggest this is a circular argument . . .
17 Ian Smith