From: Ric Mesier <kilroy@×××××××.COM>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/init.d
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:41:03
1 Yannick,
2 I appreciate your argument, but you can't equate a start-up script with
3 a binary. Yes, the binary is critical but it isn't likely to be
4 custom-altered like a start-up script might be. If I emerge package, I
5 expect the binaries to be altered. If I created a customer rc script,
6 then I want to be the one to clobber it, not have the emerge clobber it.
7 This whole argument may well be irrelevant anyway. If you want to have
8 the scripts clobbered, then feel free to export CONFIG_PROTECT="". It
9 seems to be very nicely flexible in this fashion -- more of the genius
10 of the portage system.
11
12 Ric